Ballet Arkansas Presents: Spring Fantasies – A collection of fresh new works for the spring season!
The spring mixed repertoire performance will be held the weekend of April 21-23, four performances only:
Tickets are $35-$40 and are available at the Rep Box Office: 501-378-0405.
- Friday, April 21 | 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, April 22 | 2 p.m.
- Saturday, April 22 | 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, April 23 | 2 p.m.
The mixed bill includes classical, neo-classical and contemporary ballets:
- Paquita – Grand Pas Classique- A classical ballet with Spanish flare! The Ballet Arkansas premiere of Paquita is staged by Laura Hood Babcock after the tradition of Marius Petipa and includes a series of multiple variations showing off the versatility, artistry and classical technique of the Ballet Arkansas company artists.
- Obscura - World premiere, by Ballet Arkansas Resident Choreographer Kiyon Gaines, of Pacific Northwest Ballet who choreographed this new work for two women and three men and original music composed by Avi Lasser and Garrett Overcash. This is the second installment of three commissioned works Gaines will bring to Arkansas audiences and is a departure from his choreographic style as it demonstrates more spherical movement than quick sliver footwork.
- Valse-Fantaisie* - The third George Balanchine work in three years to join the Ballet Arkansas repertoire (Ballet Arkansas premiere). This quick and exuberant work is a staple for many classical ballet companies and features a lead couple with four ensemble ladies and set to Valse Fantaisie in B minor by Mikhail Glinka. *Choreography by George Balanchine©The George Balanchine Trust
- Luminous – The finale piece is the fully produced ballet by 2016 Visions Winning Choreographer, Jimmy Orrante (world premiere). Set to the music of American composer, Don Gillis, this whimsical piece was a favorite of the expert judges and the audience at last season’s Visions competition and is both athletic and charming in its movement style.