ARKANSAS REPERTORY THEATRE SUSPENDS OPERATION
It is with deep regret that we write to inform you that The Rep will not be producing God of Carnage, the final production of this season. More details are included in the attached press release.
The Rep’s board of directors made this difficult decision due to significant cash flow problems. In our 42-year history, we’ve never been well capitalized, but the past few years have been particularly difficult for The Rep. We’ve experienced steadily declining ticket sales, capital needs on our buildings, and increasing competition for entertainment dollars.
We are suspending productions until we can reimagine our theatre and develop a business model that offers professional theatre to our community, at an affordable price that is also sustainable.
The Rep will complete its obligations to host:
- ArtWorks, this Saturday, April 28
- Ballet Arkansas in Concert with Drew Mays, May 4 – 6
We expect that you may have questions, and here are some important things we want you to know:
- We are EXTREMELY GRATEFUL for your support of The Rep, and we hope that you will continue to support us through this challenging time.
- We WILL offer the planned Spring and Summer education programs under the leadership of Director of Education Anna Kimmell.
- We WILL mail tax receipts on 2017-18 tickets that you have already purchased but have not redeemed (including single tickets, season subscriptions, and flex passes).
- We will present a plan for “Our Next Act” by mid-August.
- We will answer any questions you have; just give us a call.
We believe that for 42 years The Rep has been the heartbeat of our arts community, and we are committed to finding our future. We hope you will join us on this journey into our future.
Here’s how you can help right now:
- Write a check. No gift is too big; no gift is too small. The Rep belongs to all of us, and your gift in any amount will make a difference.
- Our most immediate need is cash. We need to raise approximately $750,000 immediately, and then we need to fund the “Our Next Act” capital needs campaign to begin to build a future. If you want to help, please let us know.
- Volunteer to help. Our needs will be many in the next several months.
To ask a question, make a gift or volunteer, you may call Director of Development Fran Carter (378-0445, firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ruth Shepherd (501-765-6077, email@example.com). For additional inquiries email firstname.lastname@example.org.